perceptions

While we were on vacation last week I woke up one morning with what I thought was a minor boo-boo, as the 5-year-old would say, in my mouth. I assumed it would heal quickly, as mouths do, but the pain continued and even increased into this new week -- so, off to the dentist for me. My mortification at the idea of surrendering my "no cavity kid" status at age 32 was quickly quelled by the discovery that I had somehow injured my gum... with the unpleasant result that it had swelled and now poked slightly over the edge of my molar. Silly too-small mouth. (And yet it can still get me into trouble. Funny how that works.) Treatment for the present is to simply let it heal, swishing with salt water in the evening.

I administered my first salt water treatment yesterday evening, and while it hurt like a seat belt buckle in a parked car in late August, I have found that my mouth already feels just a little bit better. The salt water rinse does have certain curative properties, as it cleans and allows for proper healing, but on the whole it really is little more than a placebo. And yet -- I now have the perception that healing is taking place. I have gone to see our (wonderful) dentist. I can do something each night before bed. I have received assurance that my mouth will feel better soon.

Our trip brought us very near the Canadian border, so we made our way across the international boundary twice to visit a cannery museum and the Vancouver Aquarium. We also stopped at Peace Arch State Park, where I was struck yet again by the arbitrary nature of borders between countries. The kid's eyes immediately latched upon a swing set standing in the middle of a field. A row of houses stood across the street. Swing set (and therefore kid) = in the United States. Houses = in Canada. Had we attempted to cross the street, I'm sure one of the dour-looking gentlemen in the Border Patrol SUV would have become quite unhappy, but there was no perceptible difference between where we stood and the quiet block just a few yards away.



Perceptions matter in our human minds. They color our understanding of the world and our place in it. They help us make sense of life; they generate our actions and our responses. The God who created us understands this element of our nature. Jesus asks the disciples who the crowds are saying that he is. What is the public's perception? John the Baptist; Elijah; one of the ancient prophets, come the replies... the speculations of people attempting to assimilate something new into their framework of understanding. He presses on: who do you say that I am? "The Messiah of God," answers Peter (Luke 9:18-20).

Jesus silences Peter, aware that the world is not yet ready for the fullness of this knowledge. Steps remain to be taken. Peter and the disciples are beginning to experience an unprecedented alteration in perception. From a promise of things to come, salvation is coming into fulfillment. Soon, many will share in this perceptive shift.

Just as the masses in Jesus' day did not perceive his true identity, we often fail to perceive the larger picture. We view through human lenses. God's perceptions may differ from ours, but God does perceive a plan for our lives. Our life's journey takes us along the path of discerning God's perceptions for us. When we can start to understand God's wider, deeper, truer view, we move toward our deepest fulfillment.

How might we adjust our perceptions to be more in line with God's plans? This is a question for which I continue to seek answers. It is a difficult journey. The Word; prayer; the counsel of others... all of these are guides along the way. In the midst of the struggle, I know it is a journey well worth undertaking.

Comments

Popular Posts