transitions

The kid decided the other day, of her own accord, that she should clean a few things out of her room to make room for her generous new Christmas haul of toys, books and trinkets. Eager to encourage this sort of behavior, I helped her go through her books, then started a conversation regarding what else she might be ready to part with. "I'm done with my kitchen set," she announced.

As with any role-play toy involving oodles of small items, the kitchen set has been a clutter magnet--or, perhaps, anti-magnet, as evidenced by the plastic strawberries and other detritus consistently littering her floor. I've been looking forward to this day for years... and yet, I find myself missing it every time I walk into her room. (Cousin Erin/original owner of said kitchen set, if you're reading this, never fear. We haven't tossed it. It's in the garage, awaiting further instructions.) She did hold on to her velcro pizza set and enough dishware to serve tea, but we have moved into a new era. My little girl may still invite admiring coos from elderly ladies in the grocery store, but she isn't going to be little much longer.

Transitions are complex. I miss my tiny creature (after all, even the weather is more entertaining when it's "froggy" outside), and yet I was beside myself with glee to overhear my big girl actually reading book #1 of The Boxcar Children series this afternoon. I hold onto the past, and yet I find myself surprised and delighted by the future as it becomes our present.

As with children, so with life. It is easy to hold onto the ideas of the past, and I tend to do so with the tenacity of the squirrel whom I watched taunting the cat for ages this afternoon. (Stanley, predictably, ignored the squirrel and concentrated instead on staring at us until we gave him his nightly kibble.) The coming of a new year is a good time to be reminded of the futility of holding onto what is past. Circumstances change; dreams give way to reality; new possibilities come into view that the old dreams could never provide for.

When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.--1 Corinthians 13:11 (NLT)

Each stage of our lives is a precious thing. When we cling to the old--old dreams, old modes of thinking, or old plastic kitchen sets that take up room we want for shelves to hold our beloved art supplies--we miss out on the next steps God has planned for us. I pray for wisdom to know when to put aside one phase and enter into the next... with joy and thanksgiving.

God's blessings to you in 2012.

Comments

  1. Please inform your offspring that she is not allowed to grow up yet.

    (Also, please hold onto the kitchen set - should I ever be blessed with a mini me I would love for them to have the chance to play with it - I'm sure the same goes for Erin and Megan... it will actually probably be used by them before me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Laura :) 'Froggy' - love it!! My favourite small boy talk was 'flowers' instead of trousers! Bless! Those days are long gone, but are replaced by other blessings - (gotta love the way he says 'mortgaged' during a monopoly game!!)

    So - to life and the wisdom to know when to let go and move on and experience the new and different treasures Christ has for us.

    Happy New Year!!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara: While the kid does recall Godpapa Rhett's admonition to return to 4 on her birthday this year instead of proceeding onward to 6, she seems utterly disinclined to follow his advice... sigh. But we will definitely hold onto the kitchen set.

    Jo: "flowers" -- that is great! We used to receive annual visits from "Santa Closet"... it is true that each new stage in life is filled with blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts