friday five

There's a Web ring/blog called RevGalBlogPals that I haven't yet joined, partly because I'm not actually employed in the ministry anymore (although with my latest forays into Confirmation planning I might 'qualify' once again), but every Friday someone posts a "Friday Five" to the site as a stimulus for writing and reflection and this week's caught my eye. Bloggers were encouraged to choose their name or a nickname of about 5 letters and express their gratitude about something that begins with each letter.

Guess whose name is precisely 5 letters long?

L: Light. It's been such a gray week... fine in November, but oppressive in July. This morning, however, the sun is shining and I am grateful!

A: Awards. The 5-year-old earned her latest learning-to-read-chart treat this week and I took her for hot chocolate and the purchase of the next Laura Ingalls Wilder book at Chapters Wednesday afternoon. Watching her little ponytail bounce back and forth across the store as she fetched books for me to read left me profoundly grateful for this stage of her life.

U: Usefulness. I've had the opportunity to feel useful this week, and few feelings are better.

R: Relationship. This week has been Vacation Bible School week at church, and while we aren't able to make it today (heading out camping in a few minutes), I've deeply enjoyed the opportunity to spend time chatting and working with so many wonderful people. I'm sure it's a common reaction to feel like full adulthood has snuck up upon you when you weren't looking, but I have been struck by the reality that I have the honor to be one of the women who can help make the church function. It is a blessing and a responsibility, but the opportunity to be in relationship with these amazing people has truly fed me this week.

A: Animals. Animals in real life, animals in pictures, animals with big golden eyes staring in the sliding door sure they're Starving and Profoundly Neglected because they haven't had a heaping bowl of kibble in at least 4 hours... regardless, they make me smile.

Comments

Popular Posts