live

I came across this post reflecting upon yesterday's tragedy and thought I would share:

When there are no words, we pray.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America posted a prayer to its Facebook page yesterday.  In the traditional manner, it ended with "Lord, in your mercy" and from all over the country came the comments: "Hear our prayer."  I don't understand.  I DO NOT understand.  I need the comfort of these familiar words.    

In the end, what can we do?  Perhaps many things.  Public policy?  Private actions?  Individual relationships?  Structural change?  Above all, I suspect the best thing we can do is to live.  When the forces of death threaten to overwhelm and to steal the vitality of our lives and our dreams, the best defense we can mount -- and the best tribute we can pay -- is to simply live.

Grace and peace to you this day.  Live life.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Comments

Popular Posts