simon's brother andrew / thankful thursday

I was reading in John this morning (that sounds more impressive than it is... despite best efforts my morning devotions run along the lines of "try to focus... oh, man, I need to buy groceries today... wonder what that quiet kid in class was thinking last night... where was I?"  Thank goodness for grace).  Anyway, I was reading in John this morning, and something stuck out to me in John's account of the feeding of the 5,000 that I hadn't previously noticed.  Which I guess means I was sort of paying attention.  Simon Peter's brother Andrew was the guy who spoke up and told Jesus there was a kid with 5 loaves of barley bread and 2 fish on hand, though he figured that wasn't particularly useful in feeding such a huge crowd.  Sure, he delivered his news with a modifier, but he told Jesus anyway -- even though he didn't think the information would be worth anything.

How often do I edit my thoughts/actions/plans on the grounds that they aren't going to be worth anything?  Andrew spoke up, even when he thought his information was irrelevant, and 5,000 men -- and loads of women and children -- were fed.  Huh.  Moral of the story?  God can do good things with whatever we have to offer, even if we feel like it isn't enough.  Good news.

On to thanksgiving.  This week I am thankful for:

* friends
* progress
* apple fritter cake
* the sweet friendship between the cat and the kid
* the Maisie Dobbs books
* squirrels

How about you?

Comments

  1. Is it the apple fritter cake circulating on interest? Because that does look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one I pinned quite a while back, so it might be the same one -- it's really good! Several steps, but worth it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts