one bite at a time

When my sister and I were little we had a cassette tape of children's songs that included one with a particularly catchy refrain: "you've got to eat an elephant / one bite at a time / ohhhhh, yeahhhhhh..."  We may have listened to to this many, many times in a row one year on the way to our grandparents' house in Klamath Falls.  And nearly have driven our parents crazy.  And caused it to become lodged in all of our heads periodically to this very day.  Might have happened.

All that notwithstanding, the message is a good one.  I was thinking about perseverance this afternoon, because it's something I'm not always very good with.  I struggle to eat my metaphorical elephants one bite at a time.  I'm far more likely to see the entire beast, become completely overwhelmed, and find myself 15 minutes later on Facebook, thoroughly annoyed with myself and no further along toward finishing my "meal."

The 8-year-old is at day camp this week (glory be), and I have a lot of work to do.  The elephant threatens yet again to become overwhelming.  My mantra for the week:

"Seek the Lord and his strength, seek his presence continually."--1 Chronicles 16:11.

Clearly, I need an elephant-eating guide.  These, then, are words to "treasure in my heart" (see last Monday).

Blessings to you this week!

Comments

Popular Posts