digits

I've had great conversations with a friend about the nuances of seeing God at work in the events of our lives.  We haven't come to any conclusions yet -- will duly record if we do.  We both find it uncomfortable to ascribe every positive outcome or happy event to God's will, simply because God doesn't always create happy results in every case, for every one.  If God answers my prayer and not another's, what does that mean?  We're all imperfect people, and we're saved through grace and not through works, so my gold-star behavior (or lack thereof) doesn't generate bunnies and rainbows (or storm clouds and, er, crocodiles?).  Not from God.  The rewards for hard work and good behavior come primarily via human systems -- and that's okay.  We have organized ourselves into these systems for good reasons.  That doesn't mean God doesn't bless us -- God does and God has.  The process of figuring out all this works is, I suspect, life-long (so I wouldn't expect those conclusions any time soon).

All that said... there are times when things just seem meant to be, don't they?  Times when God's provision looks very real.  Evidence that God must be at work.  We're in the midst of an bittersweet transition.  New opportunities and improved conditions require the loss of other good things.  Perhaps it's a tempting time to look for signs, but the signs I see grant comfort.  We received our new telephone number today.  It's one digit different from my childhood line.  One digit from the numbers that represented a world of security and love, good memories and strong foundations.  I'm deeply amused -- and I'm encouraged.  Our new number feels like a sign that this path we are on is not random.  In the midst of so many choices and such important decisions, there's comfort in seeing a Plan.  It looks like we're doing the right thing, despite the questions and despite the bittersweet.  And I am thankful.

Comments

Popular Posts