calm, care, and deliberation

Last night I had to drive across town for a call committee meeting.  This drive takes 45 minutes without traffic, but since it was still the tail end of rush hour I allowed myself a generous hour and almost 10 minutes. 

It took me an hour and 40.

Sigh.

Consequently, I arrived feeling not a little harried, albeit triumphant that I'd managed to escape the logjam on 99W with some creative driving work up 217 and down Scholls Ferry Rd.  (Those familiar with metro area traffic will appreciate the irony of *escaping* traffic by taking 217.)

I was relieved to finally make it to Newberg because last night the assistant bishop joined us to deliver names of potential candidates to fill the open call at our church.  Assistant Bishop Susan is a woman of great grace, and I was particularly struck yesterday evening by her tremendous sense of calm.  She moved carefully and deliberately through the list of candidates, responding to questions with the same careful deliberation, and concluded our meeting with prayer that was -- you guessed it -- calm, careful, and deliberate.

Where she obtains this sense of calm is no secret... she's grounded in the Word.  I'm sure she has her moments, as do we all, but I found her example deeply inspiring.  I aspire to similar grounding. 

How do you/might you cultivate a sense of calm, care, and deliberation?  How do you ground yourself? They're questions I'm pondering for myself, and I'd love to hear others' thoughts on the subject.

Comments

Popular Posts