light

I wouldn't say I have seasonal affective disorder or anything as serious as that, but I do sometimes find the gray skies of the Pacific Northwest becoming a little oppressive this time of year. This afternoon as I've sat here pulling together the PowerPoint slides for my class tomorrow afternoon the sky has grown darker... and darker... and darker... and I gradually became aware I was sitting in a cave, with only my little Ikea desk lamp and my computer screen for illumination. It was enough to put a person to sleep -- even a person who recently finished a large cafe mug full of "super Irish breakfast" tea.

And then, I turned on the overhead light. Duh! All of a sudden the drain dripping from the birdhouse and off the buds on the tree (there's always hope) looks more cozy than depressing.

I think life can be a lot like this afternoon. We mosey along our way, noticing a hint here and there of something going awry (hey, it's dark in here), but we fail to do anything about it until suddenly... we're parked in a cave. Without a consistent infusion of light, we soon will lose our way, but it's all too easy not to notice the dim until it's reached a point of crisis. And then, we're so busy wandering around stubbing our toes that it can be hard to find our way to the light switch. (Not impossible, mind... again, there's always hope... but tougher than it could be.)

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life."--John 8:12

I like the above passage for three reasons. One, it promises light to those who follow Jesus. Two, it asks us to follow--and following is different than arriving. In other words, it's a process, not an ending. We don't need to have the answers or find the enlightened insight (although hopefully a few of those come along the journey). It's enough to simply keep trying--keep following. And three, this light-of-the-world business doesn't spring out of thin air; "Jesus spoke to them." Jesus might not be physically present here today, but we don't have to figure this out entirely on our own. God speaks through the Scripture; through prayer; through other people; through the reason God has given us. Trusting, following, these words will come to us as they came to Jesus' disciples so many years ago.

Time to pick up the kid from school--and lo, the rain has lightened. Hooray for less-soggy parking lots. I pray for guidance for each of us as we seek the light from day to day!

Comments

Popular Posts