the bigger picture

I realize I am speaking way too soon, a mere six days into summer vacation, but wow... there is a big difference between ages 5 and 6 (and learning to read/fluent in reading) when it comes to the ability to self-entertain.  Fresh off a busy year of kindergarten, when the kid isn't Pee Wee Sports Camping or VBSing* she is proving remarkably adept at finding things to do.  She's read and read and read... played with her Lincoln Logs... hauled out her Legos (and put them away again without being prompted!!!)... played with her paper dolls... worked on her coin collection... it's amazing.  While I suspect some Chutes and Ladders is in my future this afternoon, her new independence is a reminder of how quickly she is growing and changing.

VBS at our church this year is focused upon the story of Daniel, and as I was prepping yesterday to yell a few words of wisdom (whatever works) at my lovely but spirited group of newly minted 1st-to-3rd graders I came across a verse I'd underlined previously:

He changes times and seasons,
deposes kings and sets up kings;
he gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to those who have understanding.
--Daniel 2:21

Life is ephemeral.  Things change--and people, and places, and even the institutions we hold up as permanent.  I find comfort and peace in these reminders that there is a reality greater than the day-to-day channels in which we find ourselves.  The kid will keep growing; the world around me will keep changing; I myself will be different 20 years (or 20 minutes) from now.  But I/she/we retain a larger and more fundamental identity that supersedes temporality.

God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
[and at every other time, too]
Therefore we will not fear, through the earth should change
though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble with its tumult.
--Psalm 46: 1-3

We can take things as they come, big and small.  We are part of a larger story.

* (Vacation Bible School)

Comments

Popular Posts