thankful thursday

It's one of those days when it's hard to express thanks.  I received word yesterday that, while utterly unsurprising, brings to a close yet another round of hope that I might be able to pursue what I've thought for 16 years was my vocation in life.  I'm sad and I'm frustrated and I do NOT understand God's plan.  I feel bad about the sadness and frustration because I also realize I am deeply blessed and shouldn't be complaining.  I'm healthy, my daughter is healthy, my family is healthy, I have good and true friends, we have a place to live and food to eat and far more than we need.  I live in a beautiful place and I have an opportunity to go share knowledge with (and learn from) a great group of students in a few minutes.  Good grief, the sun is even shining, which is a great blessing in Oregon in November.

So... thanksgiving.  Even in frustration.  It's a useful reminder of blessing and I hope it might be useful for you, as well.

Thus, this week I am thankful for:

* the mercy of a search committee in notifying successful and unsuccessful applicants alike of its verdicts
* the beautiful sun
* noticing the tree on the way home from my daughter's school with one--and only one--leaf remaining on its branches
* almond butter
* hugs from the 6-year-old
* good (no, great) friends
* my Fox sweater (as, in a sweater with a fox on the front)
* enriching interactions with my students
* Michael Wood's "The Story of England" on DVD

How about you?

Comments

Popular Posts