inspiration

The other day I was driving home from Salem when I passed a public-service announcement billboard displaying a big photo of Nelson Mandela and the caption "Inspiration."  There was other writing, too, but good citizen that I am I was focused upon my driving. ;-)  The gist of the advertisement was that one person could accomplish big things -- even the motorist reading the sign as he or she passed by.

This sign started me thinking about what exactly it was that made Mandela so inspiring.  He is -- that goes without saying.  Clearly he did many important things before he was imprisoned for so many years, and many important things afterward.  He was a prisoner of the state who later became president of that same state.  Doesn't get much more inspiring than that.

And yet.  It struck me, driving along, that perhaps the most inspiring thing Mandela did for his people -- for all people -- was to suffer.  He suffered, year after miserable year, imprisoned for political beliefs that proclaimed the humanity of all people.  His suffering was the inspiration that spurred millions to action, in South Africa and around the world.  His greatest role, his greatest contribution may well have been that he was a victim.

On this Good Friday I am reminded of another who suffered.  God has power that transcends anything we can possibly imagine, and yet today we remember God's greatest gift... as victim.  Jesus suffered.  Jesus died.

Jesus rose again.

But tonight, a moment of remembrance for the suffering.  And deepest thanksgiving.

Comments

Popular Posts