posture

The kid has been taking swimming lessons this fall, which means that two days a week I spend half an hour sitting on the (no-back) benches in the viewing area at the Newberg Aquatic Center.  With nothing to lean against, it's easy to find myself sitting hunched over, cultivating a crick in my back or neck.  It occurred to me the other day that this hunched feeling was a metaphor for how I've been feeling quite a bit of the time lately -- feeling like I'm missing something important, hunched over in defense, and consequently rather sore.  Know what I realized?  If I force myself to sit erect -- think Julie Andrews' posture -- I feel a lot better.

Am I actually missing something important?  Probably not.  It's really a matter of posture... my attitude toward life.  My mantra of the week: sit up straight!

(Unless it's the last tenth-mile of my run and some girl in a GFU jersey comes flying by like I'm moving backward, in which case my mantra is "at least 13 years older than she is... at least 13 years older than she is..." :-) )

Comments

Popular Posts