thankful thursday

Seems like other things have a habit of creeping into the time I could otherwise spend updating this particular blog. This week, in addition to my ongoing quest to make myself Completely Irresistible to the search committees for open history positions at Lewis and Clark and Oregon State this year, the culprit was Confirmation planning. For those not familiar with Lutheran practice, Confirmation is a process youth engage in, usually during their middle school years, geared toward bringing them into a fuller and deeper standing of the Lutheran faith and where they stand in their own faith journeys. A friend and I have taken on the task of joining our pastor in re-visioning what this will look like for Joyful Servant kids, and we're pleased with the progress we've made so far. (And even more important, so are the middle school parents!) We are encouraged and excited about the possibilities we're putting in place for these kids to learn and grow. Does not, however, leave much extra time for contemplation beyond the realm of "when should we schedule the fall retreat?"

Apologetic disclaimer completed, I have much to be thankful for this week. I hope you do, too! Please feel welcome to share. Here's my list:

* coffee (see my other blog for some interesting historical insights!)
* crisp fall weather
* the kid's excitement at attending kindergarten each day--and her sweet little ponytail confidently swinging through the doors of the elementary school with all those big kids
* time to work!
* the hummingbird that pays me periodic visits outside my home office window
* the discovery that old episodes of "Firing Line" with William F. Buckley, Jr. are now available for purchase on DVD--including an episode featuring my current research focus, Dr. Fred Schwarz of the Christian Anti-Communism Crusade!
* the fact that at 32, I'm no longer bothered by how nerdy the previous bullet point sounds
* the beautiful flowers I pass on the way to pick up kiddo from school
* a supportive husband

Comments

Popular Posts