growing in grace

I spent part of last weekend helping lead a retreat for the Confirmation youth at our church. We've recently updated and adjusted (reformed? :-) ) our Confirmation curriculum, so this was our first attempt at a retreat, and on the whole I think it went quite well. One of the moms said her 7th grade boy could even tell her things he'd learned, which I count as a considerable triumph over the irrepressible lure of bodily function humor and wild flailing about that characterizes gatherings of this particular age group.

We centered our weekend on an introduction to Luther's life, times and works -- not an easy subject to cover in a lifetime of study and reflection, let alone 7.5 hours of instructional time. Above all, I hope they gained a slightly better understanding of what it means to be saved by grace and not by works. Our culture is so absorbed in achievement and accomplishment. There is nothing wrong with striving to achieve goals that will help us live lives of greater service, better outreach and stronger potential. We are created as people with hopes, dreams and visions. I was struck yet again, however, by how different life is lived in grace.

I split the kids into smaller groups at one point so we could discuss a brief article in one of my favorite little books, Augsburg Fortress' The Lutheran Handbook (2005). This handy volume manages to impart a great deal of truth without taking itself too seriously--as the winking Martin Luther on the cover demonstrates. Mixed in among such pieces as "How to Survive for One Hour in an Un-Air-Conditioned Church" and "What to Bring to a Church Potluck (By Region)" are gems including the subject of our small group discussions: "How to Be Saved By Grace Through Faith (And Not By Your Good Works)." The outline of this list is worth sharing:

1. Get familiar with the word "grace."
2. Practice letting go of things you love.
3. Lose yourself as often as possible.
4. Admit your limitations.
5. Accept your uniqueness.
6. Spend time in worship and prayer to the living God.
7. Avoid the temptation to "do."
--pp. 128-130, The Lutheran Handbook (Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg Fortress, 2005)

I love this list. I also have a hard time following its advice. I hold to that which I should release. I fail to see my unique capabilities even as my limitation admissions may tumble from sincerity into the realm of false modesty. We are presented every day with the cultural charge to "do." And losing myself is very difficult for this ultimate clock watcher.

I asked the kids for their response to each item on the list. When did they experience grace? What were their unique gifts? When did they lose themselves? One little guy checked his energy for a second and responded, "when I'm playing my French horn." Wow. Honesty and truth from a 7th grader who can practice item #3 far better than I.

My French horn playing friend has something to teach me, even as I hope I taught him a thing or two over the course of the weekend. And this list? I'd suggest it has a few things to teach all of us. I plan to make it my agenda for the foreseeable future. We'll see how I do! Let us all grow in grace... grace freely given. Amen.

Comments

  1. 'Practice letting go of things you love' - this one is the one I struggle with! I have recently started handing over the youth ministry at my church - having been the youth leader for nearly twenty years! It isn't easy. I still love youth work, but know God has other things for me to work at, and other people he wants to develop in youth ministry. I still find my fists closing in instead of opening up and letting go from time to time. One to keep on working at!!

    Jo
    ps ... I sent that Luther link to my Church History Lecturer - he loved it - I can just see the new level ones having a sing-a-long to it!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts