2 cans

I was less than chuffed to read in the newspaper yesterday that Oregon ranks behind only Washington, D.C. and Mississippi in the percentage of its citizens on food stamps.  The article went on to analyze some of the reasons behind this, and good access to these programs combined with a lesser stigma on accepting them may contribute to this high number, but the fact remains that one in five Oregonians receives food assistance (and if the above-enumerated reasons contribute to the high percentage, one can assume other states' figures "should" be higher).

That's terrible.

Poverty (and the politics involved with it) is an endlessly complex problem.  I find myself easily overwhelmed by the subject, and sometimes it seems like the more I know, the harder it is to take action.  Knowledge can empower, but it also can paralyze.  Knowing I can't solve the problem, it becomes easy to simply throw up my hands.

But.

I have a proposal -- and a personal plan.

It's a tiny one, and I can tell from the food I see piled up at church that many of you already do this.  If I'm simply late to the bandwagon, that's fine, but I share in hopes that others will join me.

From this week on, I'm adding "2 cans" to my shopping list.  Every week.  Just 2 cans (or boxes, or sacks... you get the idea).  Most of us have fairly easy access to a food donation drop box -- they're in most churches, many schools and other community organizations or even businesses.  My 2 cans won't be much, but you know what?  They're 2 cans more than the local food bank was getting before this -- and if you're reading this, don't already do this and decide to start now, we can multiply that figure pretty quickly.

Will this solve world hunger?  No.  Will it help a person or two who needs something to eat here in Yamhill County (or wherever yours might go)?  Yes, it will.  We can't ignore the big, complex problems, and we should continue to struggle with them beyond paralysis and toward meaningful action.  In the meantime, however, something is always better than nothing.

2 cans.

I hope you will consider joining me!

Comments

  1. What a great idea, Laura. Good for you. We have had a monthly automatic contribution to the Oregon Food Bank set up for a couple of years now. It just comes out of the checking account all on it's own - no effort on our part at all. Of course buying actual food is good, but know that many food banks can get more for your dollar when you donate cash because they buy in bulk and at a discount. Plus, then they can buy what is most needed at that time.

    Either way, it's great that you recognize that hunger is a problem every week and not just at the popular food-drive times of the year. I hope others will find inspiration in your efforts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts