meditation... and birds

Happy Halloween--and happy Reformation Day!

I had the opportunity to attend a church women's retreat last weekend and am still processing my experience--but it was a good one.  I really enjoyed having an opportunity to get to know ladies of varying ages in the congregation and to share both fellowship and thought-provoking conversation.

One of the elements I found most enriching was the times we spent in silent contemplation.  It was powerful for me in ways I wouldn't have expected and it has sent me in a number of directions.  First, it's convinced me of my need to experience more meditation in my life -- not of the folded-legs-om-position variety, necessarily (not that there's anything wrong with that) but of the opportunity to stop (even while I'm walking or doing something else that's relatively rote)... and breathe... and think.  I didn't think I was capable.  Now I suspect I might be.  Try it!  I recommend it.

The other thing I realized, and this was something that had been on my mind for some time, is how deeply I need to feel a connection to the natural world.  I've been trying to really appreciate the fall colors this week -- and there's plenty to appreciate right now in Newberg.  Also, I finally decided to see if I could find a convenient Web site for identifying the birds outside my office window, and I did!  Today I saw several black-capped chickadees and a red-breasted nuthatch.  (For those of you in western Oregon, the site I am finding so convenient is located here.)  It gives me a surprising amount of joy to be able to name my little friends.  It adds to my own sense of identity; it places me in greater context.  Names have a way of doing that.  When we know each other--even if we're tiny creatures with feathers and spindly legs--we relate to each other better.  (And yes, I think it works both ways... my local friends might well find themselves relating to me better via some specifically targeted birdseed in the future!)


Comments

Popular Posts