angst-free advent?


Another article written for the church newsletter.  Am finding intention easier than execution, but each morning is a new day, right? ;-)

            My beloved comparative politics professor once commented, when asked his philosophy of life: “the toast will always fall buttered side down in a world that’s constantly improving.”
            This professor was more of a humanist than a Christian, and accordingly one could poke some holes in this philosophy—we are a fallen people, so constant improvement (toast notwithstanding) just isn’t going to happen.  Nonetheless, I like his essential point.
            Stuff happens.  The world isn’t a perfect place.  If we are called to advocate for the Kingdom of God, though, we’re all about the optimism, aren’t we?  We believe in a Promise that will overturn all the greasy-carpet-sadness the world might bring.
            This is the time of year we devote to waiting in hope for the Promise fulfilled.  “Oh come, oh come, Emmanuel, to ransom captive Israel.”  We have been set free.  By a helpless baby.  If that doesn’t say “God is powerful beyond our comprehension,” I don’t know what does.
            We don’t tend to do resolutions at Advent the way we do during Lent, but I’d submit they might be a useful way to refocus our attention toward this anticipation of hope.  I’ve decided mine is to aim for an angst-free Advent 2013.  (I almost rhyme!)
            I’m sure I’m not the only one who wastes a tremendous amount of time “spinning my wheels,” as my mother would say, over things outside my control, or finding the problem in the midst of an otherwise okay situation, or accentuating the negative in ways that would send Duke Ellington pirouetting in his grave.  Why do I (we?) do this?  In my case I know I am far too eager to re-appropriate the chains Jesus came here to Earth to free.  I attempt to conquer the world on my own… and in the midst of my efforts, I forget God’s Promise. 
            I pledge to let go, to stop trying to solve every problem myself.  I pledge to rest in the Promise and to value the gifts God has given me rather than focusing in on what’s “wrong.” 
            This doesn’t mean complacency.  We all know there are things about the world, the church, the insert-your-institution-of-choice-here that could do with improvement, and we’re called by God to work toward the Kingdom of God here on Earth as well as in the time to come.  Jesus came to save us here and now, not at some point in the future.  So I’ll keep compiling those stewardship time and talent surveys I’m so thankful to have received :-) and I’ll keep doing what I can to further the Kingdom—but I’m not going to worry about it.  I’m not going to yank the burdens God promised to lift back onto my shoulders.
            This doesn’t mean hippy-dippy-happiness in the midst of need.  If a friend is struggling and in need of a listening ear, I’ll gladly provide mine.  Living without angst isn’t the same thing as living with blinders against the struggles life sometimes brings.
            This doesn’t mean perfection.  I can’t promise 100 percent compliance.  The next few days will bring professional news, possibly bad and invariably stressful, and venting may be necessary. 
            My pledge does mean I’ll take the time to be mindful.  I’ll strive to avoid wheel-spinning.  I’ll enjoy this season of hope and anticipation.
            What would your “Advent resolution” look like?  How might you focus in on God’s Promise?  What in your life needs “ransomed” this December?   
            Grace and peace to you this holiday season.  

Comments

Popular Posts