socks

I just received a text-message photo from a good friend featuring an entire wall of garish socks for sale at City Liquidators, a store I have never had the opportunity to visit but whose advertisements I have long enjoyed reading. (Seriously, who could resist a store run by a man called "No Fault" Walt Pelett, with ads featuring family photos and great deals on both dining tables and bobble-head figurines?) Why did she send me the sock photo? Because it reminded her of me.

Now, why might a wall filled with technicolor footwear remind this friend of her friendly local underemployed historian? Well, it might have something to do with those socks that look like Converse All-Stars... or the green ones featuring moose in sunglasses... or the Irish wool pair involving sheep and googly eyes... or the fact that one of my beloved youth group kids and her mother gave me three pairs of candy-toned bunny socks for my 30th birthday a couple years back. (One pair had rhinestones!)

Yes, I am that person. The crazy-sock lady who caused her youth group endless amusement and will one day, very soon, become endlessly mortifying to her daughter.

Can't wait!

We'd all do well to fully embrace our uniqueness, just as I've embraced my sartorially questionable footwear. I'm often not very good at this, but I like to think my socks are one small step toward fully expressing the individual humanity with which I've been blessed. Each of us are one-of-a-kind creations, with our own tastes and personalities, talents and aptitudes. The individuality with which we've been gifted provides us with our best opportunities to serve our God. When we are willing to become truly, fully, us, we can be the people God has created us to be.

"Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone."--1 Corinthians 12:4-6

Comments

Popular Posts