award!

I was poking around the Web this morning (procrastinating on writing my lesson plans, to be perfectly honest) when I discovered that one of my favorite bloggers, Jo Royal at All in a Day, nominated me for a fun blog award!




As she eloquently puts it here, there is tremendous value in the gift of encouragement, and I feel truly encouraged by her recognition of this blog... it is motivation to keep writing and a helpful reminder of the benefit of uplifting others.

Accordingly, I'm happy to take on the challenge of passing this award on to others whose writing is a blessing to me. The "conditions" of the reward dictate that one pass the honor forward to others (and that the recipient share five little-known facts about oneself). As Jo points out, there are certain of the aspects of a chain letter here, without the threats of imminent doom attached... just an opportunity to recognize others and provide some encouragement. In that spirit:

1) My good friend Amy at Loving Leah, Tommy and Nicolas.... Amy and her husband have written movingly about the joys and struggles of dealing with the loss of their first child to a rare condition, the adoption of two beautiful little boys (one of whom has health struggles of his own), and the impending birth of a third. Amy's faith, grace, trust in God and humor come through in every post.

2) Emily at Life Breathing is a young Lutheran minister with a wonderful take on life, faith and photography. I enjoy her daily posts and often participate in her weekly photo collections.

3) My sister Sara has a new blog with a fabulous name (see the blog for the complete story): I would still plant my apple tree.... Her thoughtful reflections on life make for good reading.

4) This is quite a popular blog, so it probably comes under a different heading, but for what it's worth I have tremendously enjoyed my time reading Peas and Thank You, the blog of vegan cookbook author Sarah Matheny. Her stories of life with two little girls are great reading (and often very familiar.... tutu obsession, anyone?), she is a woman of faith, and while I am not vegan, I'm all for healthy, tasty cooking... which her recipes provide in abundance.

5) This last blog isn't religious, but it is really fascinating. (I offer up as proof the fact that today's post is titled "Frogs or Oatmeal?"). The Old Foodie is a Britain-born Australia resident who proffers daily insights into the history of cooking, complete with historical recipes. (Yes, those lesson plans I should really be making will be for a history course.)

Now, about those 5 little-known facts:

1) This isn't necessarily little-known for those who already read this blog, but I am a fan of the English Premier League's Sunderland AFC, for the circuitous reason that I was very bored as a new mother and spent considerable time roving the Irish Independent Web site (we visited Ireland 2 years before kiddo was born), and Sunderland had just hired the Irish footballing legend Roy Keane as manager. One thing led to another, and somehow I found myself an avid follower. I had the opportunity to see Sunderland play a preseason game in Ireland in summer 2010, forcing my very patient husband to drive across the width of the island and back in a single afternoon/evening so we could make the match at Limerick's Thomond Stadium from our vacation house in Co. Kilkenny.

2) I can juggle.

3) My nickname as a small child was "Sissy" because the above-mentioned Sara couldn't pronounce "Laura."

4) My daughter was soothed as a baby by the Lutheran liturgy (1978 Lutheran Book of Worship version) and the theme songs from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and "The Lawrence Welk Show."

5) I have a deep and abiding hatred of whipping cream.

And there you have it! Now, on to those lesson plans... thanks again, Jo!

Comments

  1. :) Glad you found the award!! It cheered me up this morning - hope it has given a little smile to your day too!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Sissy! Now to the dilemma is to figure out which lucky blogs I will pass it along to... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts