love

Generally, the first words out of the kid's mouth in the morning are either "I'm hungry and thirsty" or "I want my breakfast," uttered with half-open eyes and a distinct whiff of grumpiness. This morning, however, I was greeted by an enthusiastic Tinkerbell pajama-clad figure who sprang out from behind the refrigerator with a cheery "Happy Valentine's Day!" Returning her greeting, I inquired whether she was ready for her breakfast, to which she responded, "just a minute; I need to get something out of the garage," and disappeared through the door. A minute or two and several minor rummaging noises later, she appeared in the doorway bearing an enormous grin and a bouquet of carnations. "We didn't just buy bread when you sent us to the store," she proudly reported.

Love. On this day devoted to romantic love, it's worth remembering that love transcends romance to embrace all the care and affection we have for each other. Love is, after all, the greatest commandment... and while the gifts of romantic love God has given us are very important, I don't think Jesus was talking about dinner for two and a heart-shaped box of candy. (That said, I always welcome heart-shaped boxes of candy. Just FYI.) The love between parents and children, between family members and friends, is a sacred thing. And in the end, Jesus calls us to a love that is even more expansive in its scope.

The nature of human bonds means I am always going to value my child above all others. It means I will always harbor a deep and special place in my heart for my husband, my immediate family and my very closest friends. But I suspect that a life lived in the love we've been called to should lead me to share the care and regard that warms our inner souls with others. Do my students feel my love? Do they see me light up with recognition that they are special and valued children of God? How about the people with whom I interact every day, from secretaries to clerks to gas station attendants? The parent who might annoy me in the dance studio waiting room? The person who seems unaware that the speed limit on Mountainview is 35, thank you very much...

Love, love, love... that's what it's all about
God loves us, we love each other
Mother, father, sister, brother
Everybody sing and shout!
'Cause love's what it's all about.


I remember singing this in Sunday School... perhaps you do, too. I hope it can serve as my mantra for today... and every day.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Comments

Popular Posts