lenten check-in, or, the devil's in the online shopping

So far, so good (overall) on my Lenten commitment. It is amazing how much time there is for lesson planning when one cuts way back on spurious Internet usage. I found myself in danger of slipping back into a familiar trap yesterday afternoon... the trap of the online shopping deal. There's a $10 Boden coupon sitting on top of my printer, burning a metaphorical hole in my pocket, and I'm reallllly sick of winter, winter clothes, winter turtlenecks, being constantly freezing, etc.

Now, theoretically, I don't feel there's anything wrong with making an online purchase. It can be a very efficient way to obtain all sorts of items, from obscure books to durable children's tights (thank you, Lands End free shipping). At the same time, it's a wide-open window into a world that presumes that with the right stuff, all will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well (to paraphrase Julian of Norwich in a context she would find absolutely appalling). Add to this the reality that I am, to put it bluntly, a cheapskate, so I tend to concentrate my shopping efforts upon the clearance portion of any given Web site, and you have a recipe for absolute disaster. There has to be a deal out there... but this is the wrong size; this is the wrong color; this is beginning to creep up into the "you have to be kidding" price range.

I know full well that my happiness is not dependent upon things... with the possible exception of proper-fitting pants. Ill-fitting trousers really make me cranky. Still, I find it easy to be sucked into the whirlwind of consumerism. Blessedly, as I clicked onto a second Web site I remembered that Lenten commitment... and I stepped back. I redirected my focus. I wish I could say I held as firmly to the other end of my commitment, although I have had some small successes in enlivening my prayer life. But at least I stopped the destructive behavior.

And, I cleaned out two desk drawers and the linen closet.



Baby steps!

God's blessings to you on your own Lenten journeys.

Comments

Popular Posts