bulbs

The temperature is finally low enough here in Portland to plant spring bulbs, so this afternoon I spent a happy few minutes scattering the contents of my PTA bulb sale order around the yard.  Planting spring bulbs is one of the things I've really been looking forward to doing here at the new manse.  I'd accumulated a nice collection at the old house, most of which were in various stages of bloom at the time the house sold.  Helpful for the house sale, but it's forced me to start over fresh -- other than a mania for lilies of the valley (probably more of a self-mania on the part of said lilies, given their proclivity to spread), the former owner of our new house wasn't big on bulbs, and I didn't have a chance to take my old bulbs with me to the big city.

Bulbs are the ideal plant for the gardening-challenged.  Stick brown, lifeless object in ground, wait several months, and presto: delightful springtime beauty!  They're a useful reminder that what we see doesn't always match up with reality.  Tulips and daffodils, crocuses and hyacinth -- all are useful reminders to exercise humility in my judgements.

Comments

Popular Posts