my child is braver than i am




The first grade took a field trip to Camp Tilikum today.  Tilikum is a beautiful day camp and conference center 15 minutes from town.  Among the attractions on offer is the "big swing."  The above illustrations provide sufficient insight, I am sure, into what they mean by "big swing."  This was the kid's second time on this contraption -- she attended day camp at Tilikum last summer and is excited to go again this year.

Clearly, she isn't concerned.

Just as clearly, for those who know me well, I was not interested in taking a turn myself.

I ascribe the 7-year-old's lack of fear of heights to spending so much time riding on her 6 foot, 5 inch father's shoulders as a baby.  I have no idea whether this theory holds water, but suffice to say daring adventures are much more her cup of tea than mine.  She's cautious until she has things figured out, but once she's figured them out... look out, scout, as the saying goes.

The kid knows the safety harness and helmet she wears will keep her safe.  She trusts in the expertise of the college kid, "Mr. Sunshine" (ah, camp names) who oversees the operation.  If there weren't a harness, a helmet, a lot of imposing looking cables and a "Mr. Sunshine" involved, she wouldn't be nearly so interested.  But there are, so off she goes.

I would have been completely fine, had I chosen to take a ride on the swing myself.  It's more than capable of bearing the weight of an adult, and they had an adult-sized helmet and harness on hand.  The difference is that for whatever reason, my more primal instincts won't let me trust in that safety.  I'm scared of heights, even when there's no good reason why I should be.

The big swing leads me to wonder what else in life I am scared of without good reason -- where else I, or any one of us, might benefit from learning to trust in the equipment, or the conditions, or the people, or the One, who will keep us safe.  Sometimes we need to let go, we need to trust, if we're going to benefit from the results -- whether that's an exciting ride and a glimpse of a beautiful lake, or a new opportunity of any other variety.  I'm not bothered by missing a turn on the swing, but I suspect there are other, more important things in life that I could well be missing.  I pray for the ability to trust.

Comments

Popular Posts