role model

My sunflower seeds are sprouting!  Hooray!

I walked the kid to school this morning, which means we crossed at the intersection manned by our friendly local crossing guard.  He's the father of a student and the husband of our school counselor.  In addition to his morning and afternoon duties, he supervises noon recess, and in the process of all three has developed a nearly encyclopedic knowledge of names and identities.  He's a huge fan of the Portland Timbers soccer club, and having learned I am, too, he never hesitates to share a few words about the latest match -- or to whistle a Timbers Army chant as I'm crossing the street.  In short, he's one of the most cheerful personalities I encounter in my day.  He touches the lives of hundreds of students and parents with his care for their safety and his friendly demeanor.  I don't know whether his family is church-going.  Whether he recognizes it or not, however, through his words and his actions he is the light of Christ in the world.  I would like to be more like him.

Comments

Popular Posts