boundaries

"If scripture hardens our hearts against anyone, I'm pretty sure we're reading it wrong." -- Debbie Blue

Love this quote.

Striving to keep my heart open and my preconceived fears at bay.  I find it easy to engage in reverse-prejudice, wherein my frustrations regarding my perceptions of others' prejudices in turn influence the development of my own.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  I'm struck, thinking about this, by Jesus' skill in creating boundaries.  In the midst of his deep, wide, all-encompassing journey into the heart of what it means to be human, he maintained a remarkably strong series of boundaries.  He sought solitude and reflection; he cared deeply and acted fully, then removed himself from situations to revive his spirit (and save his sanity?).  Even as he ultimately sacrificed himself, he showed us what it means to live in a productive and sustainable fashion.

"And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray..." -- Matt. 14:23

Comments

  1. I have always liked this verse. Even as an introvert I find it hard to escape not only from the people and chaos, but also from my own busy mind long enough to pray deeply. But that kind of prayer and connection to God is so necessary to avoid the sort of judging that we can do when we think we hold all the answers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts