40 days

As I left the campus fitness center this morning I noticed several places where limbs had been cut from trees lining the walkway.  The raw edges of the cuts were dotted with red spots -- sap, I imagine -- that looked sort of like blood.  For a moment I felt sorry for the trees.  As I continued to walk, however, I realized that without the "pain" of a trim (I realize I'm anthropomorphizing here), these trees would not have survived.  They would have grown to block the path, their obstructive qualities overpowering their landscape-enhancing, oxygen-generating work.  Plant Services would come along with an even bigger saw, and down they would go.

As with trees, so with life.  Having our lives trimmed and pruned hurts -- but sometimes it's the necessary precursor to continuing growth and new flourishing.  Provided all continues to go smoothly, I'm 40 days from a significant transition, one that will involve quite a lot of pruning in the weeks that follow.  A physical move of 45 minutes brings with it long-term changes in my life's work and in our community and church.  I don't yet know what these transitions will look like, but I'm seizing upon this period of 40 days, given the recurring importance of 40 in the Bible and in the church.  Jesus was in the wilderness for 40 days... the Israelites wandered for 40 years.  Lent is 40 days, less Sundays.  This is my season of waiting, and I would like to make it a spiritually beneficial season.  Part of my "discipline" involves an intention of posting here more regularly.  We'll see how it goes!

Comments

Popular Posts