lenten journey

In the midst of our crazy reality this Lenten season I was searching for a way to work with the kiddo (and myself) to ensure we don't ignore the significance of this season.  Our days are so crammed with cross-town treks and house showings that my introvert self can't tolerate any more confusion... which led me to an important conclusion about my need to make this a season of intentionality.  I want to be intentional about the decisions I make so I don't wind up wasting time and precious mental resources on extraneous activities.  Compulsive use of social media? Listening to music or watching programs that aren't beneficial? Reading materials that aren't contributing anything of significance to my well-being?  In all of these cases, I have concluded intention is more important than absolute prohibition.  "Grantchester" and the comics do me more good than harm, but the days I become hung up on Facebook, waiting for something (who knows what) to happen, are days bereft of sufficient attention to relationships, work, mental well-being and eye strain.

I was looking for children's Lenten activities this afternoon and I came across this nifty little printable journey through the Lenten season.  Elsewhere, I read another blogger's suggestion of creating a paper chain of prayers to tear off and pray each day.  Keeping track of a paper chain in the midst of an impending move seems a little tricky, but I can probably manage to hold onto a single sheet of paper.  I plan to spend a little time this evening with the kid, filling the squares of this sheet with prayer ideas.

Remember you are dust, and to dust you shall return.  The unspoken subtext?  God is bigger and broader and deeper and more enduring than all our human imaginings... hope, even as we acknowledge our failings.  Ash Wednesday blessings to you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts