johnny appleseed

Over the last couple weeks I have had the "Johnny Appleseed" prayer mysteriously coursing through my brain:

Oh, the Lord is good to me!
And so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need
The sun and the rain and the apple seed
The Lord is good to me!
Amen.  Amen.  Amen amen amen, ahhhhh-men!

I'm not even that over the moon about apples most of the time... I mean, they're okay and all, and occasionally they sound great, but normally they're a "meh" kind of fruit.  

It occurs to me, though, that beyond the apples and the tendency to identify this as a "grace" prayer for before a meal, this little ditty has possibilities.

* the Lord is good
* I thank the Lord
* the Lord gives me the things I need.

More profound than its normative preschool setting might imply.  But then, preschoolers are often pretty profound.  

Amen.  Amen.  Amen amen amen, ahhhhh-men!

Comments

  1. We sing this prayer as one of our half-dozen or so before meals. L always ends it with "Ahhhh-daddy." Which is less than profound but always makes us giggle :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts