magnificat

While I have never had the opportunity to travel to Holden Village, a Lutheran retreat center up in central Washington, I love the Holden Evening Prayer service Marty Haugen composed for Holden in the mid-1980s.  One of the most beautiful parts of the service is his setting for Mary's Magnificat--the words recorded in the book of Luke as Mary's response to the angel who came to tell her she was carrying the Son of God.  The video below comes from an ELCA church in Missouri:



Mary's words have been on my mind a lot this spring.  Faced with a complete change of life plans, and with news that could have traumatic consequences for her reputation and status in society, she chose to say "my soul magnifies your greatness, O Lord, and my spirit rejoices in you.  You have looked with love on your servant here, and blessed me all my life through."  She chose to accept God's plan for her life with praise, thanksgiving--and trust.

I do not in any way want to cast my life journey on par with what Mary faced.  It's safe to say none of us will ever face what she did, but we each in our own way face struggles and changes in life plans that require our response.  They may differ in size and scope, but they are our struggles and they are important to us.  How will we respond?  How will I respond?  I pray I can learn to respond with Mary-like trust.  Meanwhile, Mary's words and Marty's music remind me of her example.

Comments

Popular Posts