getting on the bandwagon a bit late

I'm struggling through a bit of a funk at the moment, but I was reading a book this afternoon in which the author commented that doing something -- anything -- is a key in fighting the "nothing" of mental/physical/emotional inertia.  So, here we go.  In the spirit of "better late than never," I'm jumping on the bandwagon of an Advent suggestion helpfully posted to Facebook by the new pastor of our past church.  Here's the idea:


A cool idea, methinks.  Perhaps I'll have an opportunity to go back and fill in the first few missing days, but meanwhile it's December 3: "On a cold winter's night that was so deep..."

There is something about winter that does feel "deep."  The house was dark inside when I left to pick up my daughter from her after-school class just after 4, and by the time we returned home just before 4:30 the automatic sensor had triggered on the Christmas lights.  I realize we celebrate Christmas in December for historically non-Christian reasons (speaking of bandwagons, in this case of solstice festivals).  I'd suggest, though, that God must have been in those solstice festivals, because there's something elemental about our need for hope in the midst of darkness.  With apologies to my Australian in-laws, Advent wouldn't be the same at the height of summer.  I need to wait, and watch, and dwell in the "deep" of the winter darkness.  I need to see the symbolism of candles and Christmas lights.  The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness cannot overcome it. 

I need to wait.  'Tis the season in the church year, and 'tis the season in my life.  Am I good at this?  Er, no.  I need to keep singing the words assigned to this day -- and observe well this season of waiting.

Comments

Popular Posts